"Raindrops keep falling on my head..."
That was the title song to the popular 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The film is ranked #151 in the Top 250 movie list of IMDB.com by its members.
But raindrops are more than just lyrics in a song; raindrops are also crucial to the process of rainwater harvesting.
The IRHA (International Rainwater Harvesting Alliance) organization exists to educate and help the public to be aware of the benefits of harvesting rainwater by treating it as a sustainable resource.
In the words of the contest sponsor:
"The aim of this competition is to make the public, too often insufficiently informed, aware of the various advantages that rainwater harvesting offers by providing sustainable access to water.
"It is in this context that the IRHA invites photographers, professional and amateur, to present their vision on the benefits that this celestial resource can have for both humans and nature."
According to the contest rules your photograph may include the following ideas:
* Water is life, the essential element that supports human, animal and ....plant life
* Sacred or ritualized use of water or the celebration of rain in spiritual ....ceremonies
* Thirst, scarcity and drought
* Water distribution, including the politics of water distribution, water as ....a commodity.
* The role of harvested rainwater for satisfying needs where ....water cannot be piped.
* Rainwater harvesting, the best tool for adaptation to the climate changes (storms, floods, ....drought)
* Rainwater collection, simple technologies at work, water purification
* Winners of the contest must provide a minimum 2000 pixel image in ....300dpi.
* Files must be submitted in either JPG or TIF (unsharpened)
* Photographs may be submitted in portrait or landscape mode
* Entries may be in black and white or color
* Photoshop or image touch-ups are limited to standard darkroom techniques
* Over processing or use of digital effects on images will be grounds for ....disqualification
* No images shot in a studio will be eligible for this contest
Upload your submissions to raindropsaward [at] irha-h2o.org (replace [at] with @)
Links and other contest information
All submissions must be accompanied by a fact sheet. See the official rules for more details.
This contest has no entry fees. The deadline for submissions is April 30, 2011. Follow these links for more contest information:
Official contest site
Contest rules and guidelines
Graphic design school and you
If you are thinking about entering the Raindrops Geneva Award contest you probably have a good eye for images and composition.
But you can always improve your talents by taking classes at a graphic design school to learn more about photographic techniques, lighting methodology, and digital equipment.
Speak with a graphic design college representative and find out what sort of classes and educational opportunities are available to you.